Animal Keeper/ Park Ranger
We do not have any vacancies at this time.
However, if you are interested in employment at Walkabout Park, you may submit an "expression of interest" application for us to keep on file. If a vacancy becomes available, we may contact you.
If you do not have the minimum experience requirements for employment as a ranger or animal keeper, you may be interested in our trainee volunteer program. Click here for more information.
Walkabout Park's Rangers and Animal Keepers.
Set in 180 acres of natural Australian bushland, Australia Walkabout Wildlife Park is NSW’s only fox-proof natural bush animal sanctuary and Aboriginal sites preserve. Our park rangers care for over 200 animals representing over 60 different species, as well as the habitat for a multitude of free-ranging wildlife.
The focus of our collection is to teach people about Australia’s native fauna, the Australian bush, and lessons from Australia’s Aboriginal heritage. Walkabout Park fulfils an important role in practical “Conservation through Education”.
We only employ suitably experienced and skilled animal keepers/ park rangers. All our team members must be highly driven and energetic individuals with a passion for Australia’s native wildlife.
- Providing daily care and welfare to all mammals, birds and reptiles, some captive and others free-ranging.
- Conducting fun, informative workshops and presentations to educate visitors on the plight of native fauna.
- Maintaining animal enclosures and exhibits.
- Bush care and path maintenance.
- Customer service support including keeping visitors’ amenities clean and tidy.
Applicants do need the following skills and attributes:
- Three years full-time all-round mammal, bird and reptile husbandry experience.
(please do not apply if you have been working less than 4 days per week every week)
- Certificate III in Captive Animals Care or equivalent qualification.
(please do not apply if you are still studying for your Cert III)
- Responsible mature attitude and reliable team player.
- Good communication and customer service skills.
- High level of physical fitness (heavy lifting, and working outdoors in all weather conditions, will be required).
- Good practical skills e.g. in enclosure maintenance, tree pruning and track building.
Walkabout Park has a 7 day working week. Staff work changeable shifts on a fortnightly schedule. Working hours are usually from 8am to 5pm on any day of the week including weekends and holidays. Occasionally staff are needed to work an early morning shift (from 6am) or a late evening shift (up to 10pm). Staff must be flexible and able to do late-notice shift changes. Staff must have their own reliable transport as Walkabout Park is not on a bus route.